Punta Cana is a favourite of mine for destination weddings. Also, a tropical wedding in the middle of an Alberta winter, with some fun, beautiful humans? Yes, please!
“I would marry him any time, anywhere. I don’t need a wedding”, she said.
You all. This is how Moriah ended the proposal story. We were sitting in my office, drinking tea and coffee, and chatting about how they met and how he asked. They are a yin and yang. Shane is the one who will keep them young and she will keep them grounded. They give each other balance while accepting the other as they are right now. With that foundation laid, how could their wedding day be any less than perfect?
The ‘any time’ was immediately after the new year. The ‘anywhere’ was the Now Larimar Resort in Punta Cana. 30 friends and family members joined them for sun, sand and celebration.
I can tell you from experience that planning a destination wedding can be tough. You are choosing a destination for yourself and your guests, which can be very stressful. You have to consider the size of the resort and available amenities. Will you be able to find your guests to spend time with them? Will the resort suit their needs? All of this before considering how they will treat your wedding day! I can tell you that all the boxes were checked. A good time was had by all.
Let me tell you something I’ve learned about destinations weddings (and weddings in general).
First a little insight on these people for a second to give you some more context.
- The “Mainlanders” were screeched in under the blowing palm trees by Shane’s grandfather (a real character, that one!)
- Shane put months of work into a play list that kept EVERYONE on the dance floor from start to finish (honestly, he could sell that list!).
- He brought an inflatable beer pong table to Punta Cana and they played it in the pool almost everyday.
- Moriah and her mom did a choreographed dance at the beach reception to Megan Trainer’s “Mom”.
- A work friend wrote and performed a song for the newly married couple.
- Shane organized a Beer Pong challenge that crossed Provinces and went on for months before the wedding. The winner would be his Best Man.
They sound like a whole lot of fun, don’t they? They are.
Finally, here is what I have learned. A wedding of two people who balance each other out like these two and attended by equally beautiful people will be an unforgettable celebration, no matter what the destination is. Of course, a beautiful beach and sunshine can help.
Other destination weddings we love:
- Kerrie + Lee | El Dorado Seaside Suites, Playa Del Carmen Wedding
- Charmaine + Chance | Now Larimar Punta Cana Wedding
- Kyla + Kyle | Varadero Cuba Wedding
Planning a 2019 or 2020 wedding? Let’s chat!
Choosing a destination and resort for your wedding can be stressful. Check out my Instagram TV Channel for information and real wedding slide shows.